Converted barn with cottage and byre in the Lune Valley near Lancaster, Lancashire
Four / five bedroom detached barn conversion with flexible accommodation and attached self-contained one-room cottage all set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the idyllic countryside of the Lune Valley in Lancashire
Detached barn for sale designed by a film set designer in a Swedish, Carl Larsson style, which is featured in Lancashire Life (February 2014 p123-126).
The barn is located in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The property is about 200 years old and is called a bank barn as it is built into a slope.
It comprises of a single storey one-room self contained cottage at one end which is attached to a two storey section. This part has two bedrooms and a bathroom on the ground floor and a large open-plan living room with rustic kitchen made of oak beams on the first floor.
Attached to the barn and accessed through big glass doors is the Hayloft area. Built on three storeys, the Hayloft part of the barn has an open plan living room with small fired earth kitchen and bathroom on the first floor. On the second floor are two bedrooms and a large landing used as a play area / office and on the ground floor / basement level is the byre - a large multi functional space.
The Hayloft area and barn area both have separate entrances making the property almost like two houses in one (plus the cottage-room). Planning permission is currently being sought to legally separate the property into two dwellings.
The property would make:
* A superb studio space for an artist – masses of display areas
* Wonderful location for a writer
* Marvellous abode for a musician.
* Fabulous, split-level, space for family with noisy teenagers!
* Granny flat (with a bathroom on the ground floor)
* Would suit B&B
Accommodation of barn / hayloft
The barn offers amazing space of approx 60ft x 30ft and could be split into two properties (stpp).
In brief, there are two bathrooms (each with bath, W.C. washbasin and German power showers), two living rooms (approx 25ft x 30 ft each) overlooking fields and four / five double sized bedrooms.
Features of the property include two wood burners, oak lintels, stone window sills and pine floors.
Attached to the barn is a single-storey one-room cottage (30ft x 10ft) with a pine floor and the original stone walls. It has a w.c., German power shower, kitchenette and living / sleeping area. It is currently providing income for the owners who let it out as a holiday cottage.
Two external doors - one leading into the courtyard and the other into the little orchard with open views over fields towards Lakeland hills.
Approx 25ft x 30ft with spotlights, radiator, old Belfast sink, Sani-Flo wc + washbasin.
Two Boulter Boilers : Combi + System (Oil CH)
Byre used for private music recitals, poetry workshops, discos, art workshops.
The barn is set in a small orchard of apple trees, pear, plum, damson, cherry + winter flowering cherry.
There's an Old Summerhouse for drinks at sunset.
Parking for two cars.
Location! Location! Location! Fall in love with the Lune Valley and this romantic rustic retreat with panoramic views of the Lake District Mountains.
The property is located five miles north of Lancaster and 22 miles south of the Lake District.
Fast trains to London (2 hours 30 minutes).
* Horse Riding (lots of bridleways and livery yards) with a pony paddock adjacent (usually available to rent)
* Cycling (Lune Valley Cycle Way)
* Walking in quiet unspoilt countryside or along the banks of the River Lune (7 minutes by bicycle)
* Village Church (10 minutes walk)
* Free range eggs from the farm up the track
* Excellent village schools and independent schools
* Lake District 30mins drive
* Lancaster M6 J34 only 3.5.miles or M6/J35 Carnforth (3.9 miles)
* Holiday Inn Hotel Health Club and swimming pool 3.5 miles
* Fast Trains: Lancaster (or Carnforth) to Manchester 1 hour.
* Manchester + Liverpool Airport (1 hour +)
* Lancaster University (15 miles)
* The Grand Theatre – the 3rd oldest working theatre outside London – Charles Dickens performed here.
* The Dukes Theatre & Cinema, VUE, restaurants, art galleries, museums, canals, rivers